Friday, July 23, 2010

Yesterday I started out in a light rain that eased up after about 20 miles. It was a little chilly but manageable. AK 1 was in mostly good shape, and goes from a 2 lane highway to a two lane mountain road to a 6 lane highway that dumps into Anchorage. The mountain road parts are fun and scenic. I took the bike to the BMW shop I had originally scheduled a tire change for. I had them check the light clip, and the clutch. Since the issue on day two, The clutch hasn't been right, and although it works, the engagement is near the top leaving little to no friction zone. They ordered a new slave cylinder and I will take it back Tuesday afternoon when Rene' and I get back to Anchorage.

On the way to Anchorage I saw a moose that was standing near the road. Unfortunately, I had shut down the camera, so by the time I restarted it, the moose ran back into the woods. Dagnabit.

I had time before picking up Rene' at the airport so I went to the UPS store to ship some of my stuff back. I felt putting the dry bag with about 30 lbs of stuff on top of the top case which is already about 40 lbs would be too much weight high and back. With the weather forecast looking down right crappy, I figured I wouldn't need the tripod along with some of my other stuff. Rene's flight had been delayed in Chicago due to weather, but she made it in OK. We left Anchorage in the rain for Trapper Creek where we have lodging at the McKinley View B&B. There was lots of construction which slowed things a little then all came to a stop. Apparently an over size truck got hooked on a power line, and there we sat, not moving for almost three hours. We were only 26 miles from our destination. Luckily, it wasn't raining, and even a little on the sunny side.

This video is a part of the ride to Anchorage on AK 1. The next video just shows our three hour wait. We met and talked to a lot of other motorist during this stop.

Today we went into a small town that has all the activities. The town, Talkeetna has flight seeing, boat tours, a train tour, rafting tours, and a couple of real nice cafes. We finally signed up for a flight to see Mt. McKinley, but this mountain does not want to be seen. The clouds moved in so we flew around looking at a few glaciers and stuff. We may go back tomorrow to take a jet boat tour. You can do it even if it is raining, a real possibility for tomorrow. We'll see. Mileage for yesterday was around 330, and today about 60. Here is a video clip from the flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment