Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sunday I rode 17.25 hours and covered 803 miles, my new personal long. I was bushed at the end. On Monday I covered 631 and today about 650 miles. Almost 2100 miles in three days. I was too tired to post on Sunday, and yesterday the hotel I stayed at had too weak a signal on their WiFi and it kept kicking me off.

Sunday after saying good bye to Ken and Dave I started north on RT 97 to get over to RT 20. This road was recommended by everybody as a must do, so I did. I didn't plan on it adding 140 miles to my planned 664 mile trip. After an hour or two I started to hit some windy conditions. By the time I got onto Rt 20 there were some good strong gusts. The first video is at the approach to the Oregon Washington state line. I stopped for fuel, and had breakfast with two riders, John, and hopefully not sounding like too big and idiot, I think Bob. They were good




company, and they were headed east. This video shows some of the motorcycle movement from the gusts. This second video is on Rt 20 with the wind. Rt 20 is a beautiful twisty mountain road with fantastic views. The road is mostly sweepers with a few tight twisty turns.

While leaving Washington State I had a Bald Eagle flying over head. I went to the border and waited in line with many other cars. I watched almost everybody get a brief delay, then move on. Me, I get the fifth degree, and am questioned for about 10 minutes. Maybe next time I will stop chanting "Allah Akbar" when I pull up to the officer. He finally let me go through. The ride into British Columbia was also beautiful. I learned real quick that the Canadian drivers either drive very slow or very fast, nothing in between. It was not unusual to see cars passing me at about 90 MPH with maybe 25 feet between them. Wonder what the accident death rate is in Canada. This next video is as I am headed north to 100 Mile House. I ended up riding for about 90 miles in the dark to get to my destination. I am riding beside a train and going through two tunnels. Beautiful scenery here also. There were many signs saying to watch for deer, elk and big horn sheep. I only saw three deer, two live bucks, and a dead doe, all along the roadside.

Monday's ride was more and exercise of separating myself from all the RVs. Lots of RVs and they are like land turtles, until you go to pass them, then they race you to the next no passing zone. They never could win that race. The scenery was mostly hilly, with some mountains, and then more mountains the more northwest I got. There were lots of rivers with rapids, and many rafting enterprises along the way. I saw many a teenager with inner tubes walking back from where they exited the river. I am sure they were having lots of fun. I would like to try it someday.

My destination was Stewart, BC which is just across from Hyder, AK. The roadway in, and out is RT 37a. A very scenic route that if I can I would like to return to to spend a day or two doing some local photography. I only did video due to my time constraints, bummer. Here are a couple of those videos showing the scenery. I saw a black bear on the way in that had been hit on the side of the road, and on the way out there was one just walking along the side of the road. I road to within eight feet of him, but did not have the video running, bummer two.

Entering Stewart in the evening on RT 37a (above)

This is leaving Stewart on Rt 37a, the next below id also leaving stewart and is of two waterfalls cascaiding down the mountain.

RT 37 had many views of the mountains, and it winded through and over some of them. The roadway was good at first. You would be going along then the sign "loose gravel" and the paved road is now a gravel road. It would switch back a few times, and had construction where they were putting down oil and stone. The road went from a nice two lane road to a back country two lane road, which isn't all bad, except you were never really sure what surface you were on. I also like having the road lines, and they were now abscent. I made it to the Alaskan Highway in one piece, and took that to Whitehorse. The Alaskan Highway is a fast route with plenty of passing opertunities for encounters with land turtles. But the road was a little boring. Back home I suppose this would be one of the more popular roads, but compared to much of the others, it is a little boring.

Remember if you want to read any of the older posts jsut click on "older posts" near the bottom of the page. I changed some settings so you should be able to send the link to friends, and you should be able to post a comment without signing in, if the setting to hold.

2 comments:

  1. Nice videos and congrats on the miles per day number. I take it the weather has been cooperating from the video. If possible, could you briefly describe your days weather and/or temperature. I will be curious as you head north how the weather pattern changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My weather has been good until today as I describe in today's post. The mornings have been a little chilly, and I haven't shed my liner since I crossed the border.

    ReplyDelete