Friday, July 16, 2010

I took a 370 mile day ride today. I hit Crater Lake which is truly a must see for everybody. I spent a lot of time just pulling off every overlook to gaze at the beautiful blue waters. This lake is the result of a volcano that erupted then collapsed into itself. I took a lot of photos and many of them are set to be made into panoramas. This photo is a merge of three photos. I have some video of this lake also. After Crater Lake I went back to find that darn FS19 route. I found it, and the kicker is I was on it, but turned off of it to do a video of a covered bridge. I just didn't notice the 19 sign down the road. Anyway I found it, and took it. Surprised a deer as I was coming around a tight right hand corner. I was going easy, and slowed while Bambi tried to climb a hill. This road was full of nice sweepers with some twisties to start. Towards the end it was more twisties, which are fun. The difficult part of the road was the foliage is right to the road edge, and the sun shoots through the trees causing bright spots and shadows. There are places an elephant can be standing by the road and you wouldn't see it until you passed it. The end was a reservoir with an earthen dam. After that I did RT242 again. This is a super twisty road that raises 5000 ft in elevation as you run it. I was slowed by a group of 8 loud cruisers of an undisclosed make. Hell I almost hit one in the rear around a corner as I was down shifting into FIRST GEAR. That bike almost got the one in front of it too. After about 4 or so miles they pulled over, and I was able to run some of the road at a more reasonable pace. I had to pull over for a rider who was just a little faster. Here are some videos.
Remove Formatting from selection

Crater Lake 1

Crater Lake 2

Tail end of FS19 at the dam

I will be leaving for Alaska early Sunday morning. My posts will likely be short and without video or photos. I will have to travel about 14 hours for the first three days and about 12 hours the second to meet my schedule. If my time is good, I'll try to include some.

No comments:

Post a Comment