Tuesday, July 6, 2010

This video is of me leaving Sturgis by RT 14A in the rain for the first time. This was a test ride to see if the clutch problem was solved. The clutch worked OK but not like it was. Here is how the day went:

Rene' called nice and early to get me going, so far so good. I got everything ready and called BMW roadside assistance to get the tow there early for the 27 mile ride to Sturgis Yamaha BMW. Their service opens at 0830. We got there at about 10 after 0900, not according to plan. The folks there took the bike right in and after looking it over, they advised nothing appears to be wrong. They re-bled the system and did a 20 mile test ride. John with service suggested I do a local test ride and bring it in if I detect any problems. The above video is the start of the local test. The other videos are part of that ride.

I rode the loop, I don't know the distance, but it was a good loop, and nice and twisty. The clutch wasn't great, but I felt I could move on so at the end of the loop in Spearfish, SD I started west. I felt I had enough daylight to get a good distance closure to Yellowstone. When I pulled off for gas in Gilbert, WY I had no clutch again. I called John, and he advised me to return. I was truly not happy at this point, and some virgin ears may have been popped! I started back 100 miles to Sturgis. John apparently called me but the damn "smart" phone was also giving me trouble. Once I got to Sturgis one of the mechanics flipped the clutch handle a few times and the pressure was back. I believe this was what John was going to suggest, but since the phone didn't work I took a fast 100 mile ride in the wrong direction. The apparent problem is the mineral oil used as a hydraulic fluid can develop very small bubbles, and until you get all the bubbles out, you can get large air bubbles that effect the pressure of the clutch.

So as I ride the highway the vibration is migrating those bubbles up to a spot where they form into a larger bubble. Hopefully this will clear up soon. I am now able to manage this problem. After my second time back in Sturgis, I again took 14A to Deadwood and on to Spearfish. This time it wasn't raining, and the roads were mostly dry, so I had a little more fun.

Funny thing about the weather, I have had more rain on this trip, and it is only four days so far, then I have had n all my other motorcycle trips combined. I had to break out the heated liner it was so cold. Only got up to mid 50s, yet back home you guys are having a heat wave. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE.

The Wyoming landscape out here is vast and awesome. There are parts where you see for it could be 50 to 100 miles. You could call it rolling prairie, but the hills are sharp lots of times, not really rounded. There are few trees, except on some hills that are covered with pine. But you can look out for miles and see only a few trees, and they are not like our trees, tall and strong. These trees look like something out of Harry Potter. The dandelions are enormous. The puff balls are the size of baseballs. There are cattle and horses everywhere, but no signs of owners, they are just out there. Along RT90 there are large wooden snow fences and every entrance ramp has a flashing light sign or gates to close entry to RT90 because of high winds and blowing snow. I suspect that will be next for me on this trip.

In South Dakota, like there in Sturgis you can have these great canyon or mountain areas. Rt14 runs through a canyon, and along this roaring stream that is crystal clear. The canyo walls shoot straight up and appear to 5 or 6 hundred feet high, maybe more. Truly beautiful scenary. I really should take the time to stop, and photograph it, but with all the mechanical problems, I must move on.

RT14A in the rain

14A in better weather, second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment