Sunday, July 25, 2010

Today Rene' and I left the McKinley View B&B, a very nice place for a stay, for Healy. Guess what? It was raining! The day did clear a little and we made it up to Denali. I booked us a rafting trip, that was about 4 hours long and was actually two separate trips. A scenic route, and then a whitewater trip. The scenery was nice through out both trips. Our rafting guide for the second half, Amy hurt herself on one of the rapids. She kept rowing, but she was hurting. We ended up doing a little bit of bouncing of the canyon walls until she could recover. Rene' was a little worried about the rafting, she had never done one. We booked a shuttle bus for tomorrow that will take us to the end of the road in Denali and back. The trip, if we don't get off is about 12 hours round trip. The other guests here at the Denali Dome B&B, another nice place, all are reporting seeing lots of wildlife on their Denali tours.

The weather forecast for tomorrow, you guessed it, rain and isolated thunderstorms. My only concern is the 20 - 30 MPH winds forecast with 45 MPH gusts in the high wind areas. We have to cross one such bridge that actually has a wind sock on it. Could be interesting if all the conditions are against us. We ordered our subs from Subway. They will make them in the morning and we will pick them up on the way to Denali. Once you leave the Bus stop for the trip into Denali, there are no services except bathrooms, well I think there are bathrooms.

I am hoping to get a lot of photos taken tomorrow. Not the ideal way to do wildlife or landscape photography, but it is my only real option right now. I also have to make a decision tomorrow on where I am going to go after dropping Rene' off at the airport on Wednesday. My original plan was to head up to Tok and then take the Taylor Hwy to the Top of the World Hwy onto Dawson. But all the rains have washed out the Hwy. They had it open for a few days, but more rain washed out all the repairs. If the road is closed, I can't make it to Dawson without an additional 500 miles detour. One option I am considering is heading south to Homer and maybe doing some photography down there or changing my reservations a day to allow me to detour up to my planned destinations. This would of course move everything preplanned and reserved a day back.

We stil have not seen Mt McKinley, and I am beginning to believe it is really a marketing ploy, and the mountain does not really exist. Still hoping to see a piece of it. Mileage today was 136.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you guys are having a great time...between the raindrops anyway..Still can't see your photos, but I think it's either my computer or software pblms..I can't get any you-tube videos either ..
    Take Care and enjoy...Jack and Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack, are you using dial-up? The photos and videos are large files and probably won't down load through dial-up. You may also need to download QuickTime for the videos.

    ReplyDelete