Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lets see if I remember the mileages. Tuesday was 471, Wednesday was 450, and today was about 280, obviously I can't remember them all. The ride from Idaho Falls to Meridian was nice. Again the landscape is immense. The first video is an effort to show that vast space. You can see towards the end the road going almost to a point. My last post I mentioned distance, and when I look at that distance I see it as 20 or 30 miles when it is really is maybe 10 to 12 miles. You will also notice the sky is BLUE, not GRAY, and not a cloud to be seen. Big difference from old Siberacuse. Of course every time I leave a heat wave comes in, what's with that.

I am visiting with Ken and CJ. They have a very nice home, and are great hosts. Ken has ridden all over the world, mostly dirt, and he is going to show me around Idaho for next few days. It should be interesting and I'm sure a challenging adventure for me. We'll head over to Redmond, OR together along with another guy on Monday.

The second video take is passing through an area known as "The Crater of the Moon". This is a large area where the lava flowed up through cracks in the earth's surface. No volcano needed. The lunar rover was tested in this area because of it's close resemblance to the Moon's surface.

Travel today was mostly straight line with some twisty or curvy areas. Noticed my rear tire is almost toast already. Only 4700 (about) miles on them, and they need to be replaces. I was hoping for 9000 miles, but looks like 6000 will be the limit. Good news is I can cancel the tire change stop min Anchorage. The bad news is if I get the same mileage out of the next pair, we are talking a possible second change in Missoula.

Vast Landscape

Crater of the Moon

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, didn't mom tell you motorcycles are dangerous? Just got hooked up with this google blog thing. Love the videos. Bummer about the clutch. Hope that gets resolved. I don't think anyone would want to mess with the bleeder. Could be it wasn't tightened properly from the factory and just waited 'till your trip to loosen up. Whatever the case, make sure it's righteous for the stretch through Canada. Too bad about the rain. Looks like it'll be off and on for the next couple of days. Can't do much riding here right now. It's like pointing a hair dryer at your face; the eyeballs start to cook. Be careful and stay safe. Love ya brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clutch seems to be resolved. After the riding of today (070910) if there was any bubbles left in the system, they will never come out. The ride up from Redmond to Anchorage is about 2700 miles and I have to do it in 4.5 days, so a breakdown would be a real problem. The bike is running strong, just the clutch thing that was a problem. The bike gets serviced on Tuesday, so it should be good.

    ReplyDelete