Monday, July 5, 2010

This video is just me riding in the Minnesota rain. I was in and out of rain all day while in Minnesota. Once I crossed the South Dakota border it was sunny. Just like leaving New York!

I spent the morning at the dealership while they tried to fix the clutch problem. They do not carry many parts so they were advising I might not get repaired until Wednesday when they can get parts over nighted to them, at my cost of course. They determined the bleeder valve for the slave was leaking and they took one off of one of their new bikes so I could get going. That was real nice of them, and I really appreciated it. I had to wonder how the bleeder valve after 2500 miles all of a sudden goes bad.

After about 137 miles I notice the clutch problem is back. The reservoir was full, but I was loosing pressure in the clutch handle. I notice the clutch handle and the master appeared to have fluid on it. I called them up, but being that far away, nothing could be done. I decided to run it as far west as I could, hoping it might be just air in the line that would work it self out. Every fuel stop got trickier as the pressure problem worsened. Finally as I decided to call it for the night I was able to get it into a motel lot with virtually no pressure. I had to stall it in first when I got to a space. I will call Roadside Assistance again tomorrow morning and have it towed to Sturgis Yamaha BMW. Hopefully they will get it fixed.

I am wondering if the slave is getting too hot and the fluid is boiling. When the bike sits for a minute or two cooling off, the clutch seems to work OK. I also noticed the bike is running just a tad over the mid spot for temp.

Due to the clutch problem I was not able to run through the Badlands and will likely have to skip them for this year. I am still hoping to hit RT 12 to Yellowstone and get some good video on this site. nI am drying out the video camera as ther is some moisture behing the cover lens. So much for weather proofed!

2 comments:

  1. Mark, from the sounds of it you should have bought an old reliable Harley. I suggest trading in that BMW as soon as you come across the next dealer. Good Luck with everything, Your neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have a point, after all there are almost as many Harley dealers as Dunkin Donuts. So finding one wouldn't be that hard, now has Harley started making reliable bikes yet?

    ReplyDelete