Saturday, July 17, 2010

Another beautiful day in Redmond Oregon. I am not riding today although I almost went with Ken and his Missionary friend Eric who just stopped by. I have a lot of riding coming starting tomorrow, and a break before that isn't all bad. I tried to see if they could make some adjustments to my Sargent Saddle as it is starting to sting a little. The sting is pressure points on my butt. They only sell them, so I'll have to use the Airhawk cushion. I'll send the saddle back when I get back home for a little more padding.

The advanced forecast for my trip up to Alaska is not promising. I should be OK on my first two days, which gets me to Stewart, BC which is across the border from Hyder, AK.Then starting Tuesday morning the forecast calls for anywhere from 30 to 60% chance of rain. Most of you know that where I go the rain goes, here being an odd exception. So I will have to put on a lot of miles on some twisty mountain roads in rainy weather. Hopefully it won't be that bad, or a heavy rain. The forecast while in Alaska isn't any better. They say only 30% of the visitors to Alaska actually see the peak of Mt. McKinley because of the clouds. Looks like so far we'll be joining the 70% club that doesn't see it. Bummer at this point.

I was just talking to a person I met here, Dan who is recommending a throttle lock. He has a bike very similar to mine, and he likes it, so I am going to consider it. Help save the stress on my right wrist.

I will have the bike packed up tonight so all I will have to do is pack up the camping gear and give it to Ken. Ken will put in in the Happy Trails trailer and take it back to Boise. He'll ship it back to me from there in about a week. The alarm is set for 0445 local time, and with luck I'll be headed north at about 0600. That should give me enough time to try a different route suggested to me by both Liz (BMW in Eugene) and Ken. It is Rt20 (I believe the same one I live 4 miles from back home) in Washington that runs along the top of a mountain range. Reported to be spectacular views, hell I can't pass that up. Tomorrow nights stop is in 100 Mile House, BC.

3 comments:

  1. Be safe on the journey north. The videos and pics are incredible. The deer are only 4' to 5' tall at the most, but them thare moose are HUGE. If you encounter one, just drive underneath it. Throttle locks are great for straight and level and sounds like a good idea, but if you're going to be twisting, climbing, and descending a lot, you won't be using it those times. Enjoy Canada, aye.

    P.S.- When the hell do you find the time to post all this great stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I hope that you got the throttle lock installed and can realize the gain it provides for giving the throttle hand a rest. I know that it works great for my bike. Hope everything is going well for you. Thanks again for letting me charge my cell phone on your power adapter at the BMW MOA. Look forward to following your Alaska trip. Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the throttle lock installed, but I tightened the allen screw too much and I sent the allen key with Ken, so I will have to get another key and loosen it a bit. I can move it but not with my baby finger. I lost a head light (PIAA bulb blew) so I have to replace it. I'll try and get a key there. I have found it is basically only good for straight and level which there isn't much of out here. I've talked to a lot of riders returning from AK, and they tell of allt ehwildlife they encountered. Other then the caution signs I haven't really seen anything yet.

    ReplyDelete