Sunday, July 4, 2010

Today was a wash, not just because of the rain, which isn't a big deal, but right from the start things went wrong. I set the alarm for 0530 and when I looked at the clock this morning it was 0642. I can build my own computers, but apparently I don't have the technical skills to set a motel alarm clock. Needless to say my start was late. I was running fine and stopped for fuel. At this stop I also started to prepare for the rain I was headed into. Another rider, named Darrel asked if I wanted to ride together since he was headed the same way. I agreed and after he got ready we were on our way.

The above video was as we were crossing over the Mississippi River into Minnesota. After this video was shot we hit some construction areas. I went to downshift, and I had a dead clutch lever. I could still shift, but it was without the clutch. On an up shift I again noticed I don't have any clutch pressure. Being it is a hydraulic clutch I pumped it, and the pressure started to come back. But a few minutes later the pressure was gone. I spotted a rest area which if I had to, I could stall it if necessary to stop. I was able to down shift into neutral and cost to a spot. Upon checking my clutch reservoir, it was empty. I looked over everything, but can not find a leak so I suspect it is on the inside of the slave at the rear of the transmission. Needless to say, on the 4th of July I had little hope of getting it fixed, and non of the roadside assistance programs will bring hydraulic fluid, even if I knew what kind it took.

So there I sat at the rest stop, under a pavilion as it was raining heavy waiting for a tow truck to take my bike 73 miles to Lakeville. Today's ride was 237 0n the bike, 73 in a tow truck. That 73 was North, not West. Dell was my tow truck operator and he was very helpful, getting me to the dealer and then to a hotel. The good thing is the dealer is open tomorrow, the bad my bike is sitting outside the dealership where any smuck can screw with it. I was not harmed in anyway, and if it had to happen much better it happen here, and not in the wilds of Canada or Alaska. Certainly if it happened when I have to do 2700 miles in 4.5 days I would have a problem. That time schedule is critical for me to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment