Thursday, August 5, 2010



Yesterday the ride was 300 miles and the weather was fine. I rode from Inervere Canada to Glacier NP. I was so happy to cross the border back into the USA. Canada is expensive. There are some real pretty parts, but we have many even more beautiful places here in the US. Take my advice, spend your hard earned cash in the US. Not only is everything over priced in Canada, but they like to charge you a fee every time you have to use American money. They should be giving you money back as the dollar is worth more, but they either treat it as 1:1 or they charge you a fee.
I took the Going to the Sun Hwy through the park. This roadway is supposed to be one of the most scenic roads in America. I'll give it that. If you have a problem with heights, narrow twisty roads, and no guide rail then this isn't the road for you. The road is cut out of the side of mountain and there are parts that if you run off the edge, say good bye for a 1000 feet or more.
I took the road from West Glacier to East Glacier a distance of around 50 miles. There is a lot of construction on the road so it takes some time. They stop you for up to 15 minutes at different spots. I was able to find lodging at the Sears Motel. Cabins built maybe in the 40s. The floors creaked, and had a slant to them. The sinks faucets stuck out about an inch, and there was a hot and a cold faucet. You can't wash your hands with warm water, either hat or old unless you put the stopper in and fill the bowl - gross! The shower was a metal box, with metal doors. The hot water took mighty long to arrive, but once it did the shower was fine. Just a comparison, I paid $62.00 for the night in this cabin. My hotel room, I mentioned earlier in Jasper was $162.00 for a night and was smaller and almost as antiquated as this little cabin. I was lucky as most lodging is all booked anywhere near Glacier.


My hotel for tonight had only two rooms, both suites, left. I am 35 miles from Glacier, and the only possible rooms are in Missoula, a couple of hours away. The cabin didn't have any internet, the office did, by dial-up, but that was it. I washed the bike at the cabin, and got some bugs and dirt off of it that had been there since Oregon.
I spent the day in Glacier today, trying to get some photographs. I did some hiking, but with motorcycle boots, the feet start howling. They are not made for hiking. Glacier is another one of those parks or places you need to spend days at exploring. Our National Parks are real treasures and you should really try to get to them.

The only wildlife I saw in the park today were some mountain goats. I only got some video that isn't posted. The posted video is the day I first rode the Going to the Sun Hwy, Cows in the roadway on Rt 49, and today's portion of the Going to the Sun Hwy. As for the cows, they have free ranging out here which means the cattle just run loose and can be in the road or out in never never land.

After leaving the park I saw a grizzly hauling a** across the road in front of me. It was big and moving fast. There is no way you can out run one, I saw the speed first hand. I was carrying my bear spray on my jaunts, as the trail heads warn that you are in bear country, and bear spray is recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment