Friday, August 6, 2010

I rode to Missoula for my bike's 12000 mile service. It actually had 13112 which puts me over 11000 miles on this trip. I had to have a new rear tire as the used one would not get me home. I spent time mapping out my return, and what I will probably do is run 90 to 89. Take 89 down to Yellowstone and run across the top of the Grand Loop Road, a section I have not yet done and exit out of the northeast gate. This is where the Beartooth Pass is. I will run that to the Chief Joseph Hwy, which I missed on my way out here. I'll take that into South Dakota where I will swing through the Bad Lands NP, another planned feature I missed on the way out. Once I finish it, I'll motor east on Rt 90. I'll have to plan my timing going through Chicago as all big cities can be a real nightmare riding through. I may consider a detour to bypass the city. I went through on a weekend day on the way out and it wasn't bad, but the return will be a weekday.

I decided not to go any further today as there were lines of strong storms all along my path. I could see the storms, and it even rained briefly here. The route for part of it should be clear tomorrow. I'll try to make Cody, WY as a minimum, and further if all permits. Yellowstone could be slow being on a weekend, but I am also just running the top of the loop so I won't be in there long, unless some great photo opportunity arises, then I may be obliged to stop.

My room for the night, $53.00 with tax, and it is a lot bigger then that over priced room in Jasper. I was talking with some guys at the service center. One moved here from Florida, and he loves it out here. He was looking to trade his RT in for a GS Adventure. Funny how he after so many years just grew to hate the heat, and he loves the snow or the change of seasons. Our first B&B owners in Alaska were from Florida, and the same thing, they hate the heat. Me, well if you haven't heard, I hate the snow and cold. I guess if you have lived in an area all your life, you can become dissatisfied with the weather and want something different.

The other guy has my luck ten fold. He is on a two month go to the rallies type ride. He bought a used 1100 LT which is an older touring bike like a Goldwing. Within a week his transmission goes bad. He has it towed and they discover no transmission oil. The dealer in California had changed the clutch so it appears they neglected to replace the oil. They sent him a used transmission, which took like 9 days to get to his location. The dealer paid for the installation. Two days later that transmission goes out and he had to wait another 9 or 10 days for the dealer to send another used transmission, which he was hoping would be installed today, but no, it'll be tomorrow. He has spent over twenty days waiting for his bike to be fixed.

I have 2400 or so miles, based on the above route to get home. I am hoping to be there by Wednesday, but if I need to, I can push it and get there sooner. This is really the worse part of the trip. Going home is great, but it is the miles to get it over with. That is one reason I added the routes I missed on the way out. It will make the ride purposeful or fun for a little bit more before hitting the super slab and just riding on endlessly for hours on a straight road. I'm starting to get a little tired, and the butt is getting a little sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment