Monday, August 2, 2010

I was delayed leaving Fort St John due to fog. I think it may have been mainly right there in the city as when I did leave I only saw a small reminder of it on the road. A sunny day with no rain. Started out at about 60 and the hottest I saw was 82. I had to peel the long johns and liner. I took RT 29 which is a scenic route towards Prince George. Rt 29 ends into Rt 97 and I took that into Prince George. There I got onto Rt 16 for Jasper, Alberta.

The landscape out of Fort St John was rolling foothill with lots of pasture. Some of the road at the start was twisty, but it straightened out into shallow sweepers. You ran along the valley near a river for much of it. As the road ended and I got onto RT 97 the hills became more mountainous and the road switched between mountain twisties to long straight stretches to sweepers as the terrain dictated. Some of the mountains still have snow on the top, and the rivers were flowing hard.

Rt 16 was much of the same as RT97 except no twisties, but very scenic and the mountains became more impressive. You can tell you are getting into the big stuff. The thing I like about 16 is they have several passing areas where you get two lanes on your side to pass. I really didn't need them as I encountered 14 vehicles going in my direction over 230 miles. I passed 13 of them. The last was going at a decent speed, it was getting late, we were in a high big wildlife area, and I needed someone to clear the way. There were only three gas stations in that distance. Gas is not cheap here. One place I had to pay $27.00 for about 4 gallons of regular gas. When they are the only gas station for 80 plus miles, I guess you can charge what you want.

Oh by the way HAPPY BC DAY. Today is BC day, and actual holiday. I have no clue for what, but they have it.

I made my way into Jasper which is similar to Jackson, WY. Everybody out walking the sidewalks with many shops and eateries. The mountains surround the town much like Uaray, CO. The hotels appeared to be filling up so I grabbed the first one. The prices here in Canada are high, but this was my most expensive room, and the smallest at that. I got a king bed, it was the same price as the Queen. The king is two twins put together. Yes there is a seem in the middle, you can only use one side or the other. I could have remounted and rode 30 miles further for a room, if available, but once you are off, it is hard to get back on. Today was 520 miles.

Tomorrow was supposed to have me ride straight to Missoula, but since I had to buy a park pass to get to Jasper, and to take RT93 south towards the US, I will likely take my time and enjoy the sights. RT 93 takes me through Jasper Park and the Canadian Rockies, which I hear is special. The original plan was 560 miles, I'll do much less, and cross into the US on Wednesday and find lodging near Glacier NP. I want to do some photography (I have been hauling my gear for 10000 miles now) there, and will spend a day doing so. My service is scheduled for Friday in Missoula. After that we will see what I decide to do.

My used tire is about shot so I will probably get a new one in MT. I met a guy named Lynn here tonight. He and his buddy, who have been riding together for 20 years, are coming back from Alaska. He took his full dresser HD up the Dalton in the rain to cross the Arctic Circle. He isn't sure what happened to his buddy, they got separated on that jaunt, and he realized he was on the wrong road, went back and took the correct road up. His buddy isn't talking to him right now, so he thinks he continued up the wrong road, and didn't reach the circle. My hats off to him for his accomplishment. I wish I had made it, but I made my decisions with thinking I can and will go back and try again. Besides I really like panning for gold!

2 comments:

  1. hey bro, my first attempt at sending you a message. thougt it best to update you on cny. I have been sick with a bacterial infection in my stomach lining. Has slowed me a little bit, but I hope serious antibiotics kicked it. Frank Vito retirement party was last saturday with over 70 people packed into Ricco's banquet room. Nice event with a good send off for Frank. Hot and Humid has been the general weather. Cant wait to you get back, we need the rain!Jenny and mike are coming up the first weekend in october for a quick visit. Nothing much else happening. All quiet in cny. Have a safe trip and watch those canuks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the infection, I would think all that beer would have killed it. Maybe beer resistant strain hey? Two days in a roll no rain, I'm on a roll.

    ReplyDelete