Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hey I made it home.

On Monday I did 740 miles in 93 degree heat with a heat index near 100. I was not only exhausted, but my rear was on fire. I hate that monkey butt feeling. The day was just a ride straight and get through Chicago without incident. I'll just say that some of the most life threatening drivers I have encountered were these last two days in Illinois, Chicago, Cleveland, and Buffalo. I'm talking criminal in their driving. But I survived them.

Tuesday was much the same, and I just rode with the goal of getting home. I put on a pair of LD Comfort shorts and that eliminated the bunching of sweaty undershorts I was suffering with on Monday. Still by the end of the day I was getting sore again. I put down 588 miles to get home. For the trip I logged 13448 miles in 39 days an average of 345 miles a day. I slept very well last night as well as the night before. It'll take a few days for me to get back to normal. I lost about 4 lbs on the trip, unfortunately none seems to be from my belly.

I am not ending this blog here. I will be posting more items from my trip as I remember them. I wanted to talk about some of my favorite riding, which is in the early morning. Everything seems so peaceful and quiet. My early morning start on Sunday through the wilds of WY into SD was very nice. I had a similar ride two years ago with my brother-in-law Rod, and Big Jim when we left Pace, AZ for CO. No traffic, and this great feeling of peace. I like those rides.

Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question or just use the new instant buttons at the bottom of the posts. For anybody new, the first posts posted are the older posts, and you can access them the "older posts" link at the bottom of the page.

I would like to thank Rene' for her understanding of my adventure needs, to Ken for his encouragement, and dirt lessons. To Tim and Jason for their hospitality at the rally. To Dave and Bill for their dirt riding advice and Alaska advice. To my neighbors for looking out after our home, and helping Rene' when see needed it. To Kristen and Jimmy for watching our little monster 8 month Golden Retriever. A special thanks to Fred and Judy who walked Lucy, our puppy, every day twice while I was away. To the good lord who kept me healthy and safe during this trip.

While at the rally I met someone who was at Jason's trailer. I am ashamed to say I don't remember his name, but I can't help but think of him regularly. He announced he was diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease. I told him my mom had ALS, and he wanted to find out more. He asked if she was still alive, and I told him no, she had died some time ago. I could tell he was uncertain about what to expect, and his eyes showed he was scared. He wanted to know how long she lived after learning of her disease, and I told him about two years. He believes he has had it about a year now. He was trying to be brave about it, but he is scared. I told him to make the best of his time, and to spend much time with family, and if there was something he really wanted to do, to do it. He agreed, and said he was trying to spend more time with his family. My heart and prayers go out to him. He will die a painless, but agonizing death none the less in maybe a year or two. Long before his time should be up. This is why I try to do all that I can, while I can. This is why you should try to do all you can. Get to the places you want to go to, and do the things you want to do, now, when it can be enjoyed for what it is. Fulfilling a dream or a goal, not because it is your last hooray. How enjoyable really would it be?

4 comments:

  1. I am glad to see that you made it home safely. What a fantastic trip you have just completed. I look forward to watching your next trip. Maybe I will see you at the next BMW MOA rally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, thanks. This trip was a good adventure for me, but a lot of what makes it great is the people I met along the way. The new friends. I will keep this post going for a while as I add some of my video and photos from the trip, and as my old brain remembers things, comentary about the trip. The rally is about 3.5 hours from my home next year, so yes I hope to see you there. I'll show you around this neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done! The ride of course, but the blog as well. You made your ride enjoyable for many. I admire your determination and persistence to complete such a ride as this, and must say, I am jealous as hell.

    Very glad, you and the bike made it back in one piece. By the way, I read of that very minor mishap in Oregon where the side cover got scratched, the tire issue, (I also carry a plug kit and pump but have never needed to use it, yet), and also of the clutch problems, but how did the bike fair in Alaska? I hear that those trucks and RV's can can kick up quite a bit of rock. My best to Rene.

    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bike did well once the clutch issue was resolved. The other issues were just matters of chance. The only real stone issue I ran into was an RV comming at me at warp speed in the gravel on the Top of the World Hwy on the Canadian side. I got mildly showered but no apparent damage. Now if I went up the Dalton or Haul road in Alaska I might have had more of a stone issue with the trucks. Most of the roads I rode were with Rene' and I stayed off doing any dirt or gravel with her. I tried to get up the Dempster which seemed to have more car traffic then anything else. The Dempster as I was warned is a tire eater. There will be a round two. I started out to hit Alaska, and it was suggested to me by Ken that I also do the Arctic Circle. So that became a goal that I failed to reach, so I will shoot for it again.

    ReplyDelete