Saturday, August 7, 2010


Upon entering Yellowstone I had the opportunity to photograph some mountain goats.

The weather was not to promising for my planned route, but I would make the decision when I got to Rt 89. Either continue on Rt 90 or take Rt 89 into Yellowstone. When I reached Rt 89 I checked the weather on my cell phone and it appeared that the storms were already passing, and I might slip in behind them. Of course things can change and it would take me 45 minutes to get to Yellowstone. The sky didn't look good, but I decided to go for it. The weather was fine until about half way down the Grand Loop Rd. Now the thing about Yellowstone that I hate are the other motorist. Yea, they paid to see the beautiful scenery, but PULL OFF THE ROAD to take your pictures and gawk. These people just stop in the middle of the road and get out of their vehicles to take pictures. Like I said before our national parks are real treasures, and like before, you really need to spend time in them to get the most out of them. But trying to drive through the park is an exercise in futility. The first video shows some of that, buffalo, and the rain.







Upon leaving Yellowstone on Rt 212 which is the Beartooth Pass the rain continued. Off of the Beartooth, which by the way is an awesome mountain road when you take it the full length, is the Chief Joseph Hwy, AKA Rt 296. This is another awesome road, that starts off with sweepers, gets into twisties, and back to sweepers with great scenery the entire way. Both these routes were recommended to Rene' and I last year by a Native American in Jackson, WY. He certainly knew what he was talking about. In this video, which I apologize for the blur, all the rain caused water to get in behind the lens, I try to show you the GPS map of the route which looks somebody just scribbled a line out. Many 20 MPH near switch backs. Lots of elevation changes too. By the way, what the lens shows is similar to what I see through my visor when it is raining hard.


I made into Cody, WY. I was wet in the fanny, and neighboring things and cold there too. I checked the weather both by looking at the dark sky in my path, and the cell indicated more storms on my possible route. Another factor was also in play. Sturgis is happening, and lodging is scarce. One guy I talked to said they were expecting 600000 to 700000 bikers. A tad higher then the 6500 at the BMW rally. I started to call all the hotels, and was lucky to find a reasonable place at a reasonable price. That motor lodge was full within an hour of my getting my room. Some other riders came in right after me, all frazzled. I asked if they had the rain out of Yellowstone, and they replied they got 1/2 " hail twice in storms coming out of Yellowstone. I may have had some small hail stones, I'm not sure, but it looks like I dodged that joy anyway. I may ride through Sturgis, but then again, I was told it was packed. Maybe I'll video it from Rt 90 as I pass by. I plan to do the Badlands as my last hooray as I then start to push for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment