Sunday, August 1, 2010



This video is riding along Muncho Lake on Rt97 south bound. The scenery out of Watson Lake on Rt97 started out very nice then changed to spectacular mountain riding to hilly straight roads the last 200 miles or so into Fort St. John. Today I rode 570 miles. The 15 extra from the planned 555 was from me helping out a KLR rider who ran out of gas about 8 miles outside of Fort Nelson. First I helped him tip his bike onto it's right side to get the gas on that side of the tank, and I followed him until he ran out again. I then went to a gas station and bought a gas can and some gas and returned to him. After having been partly stranded on them Dempster with only 1 out of 3 cars stopping to see if I was OK, I knew how this guy felt.


The day was a little cool, and was from mostly sunny to mostly cloudy depending on where I was. I did run for a mile in a light rain so that makes 11 out of 12 days now. But I guess if you are crossing the planet a distance of 500 plus miles, it is a chance you will find lots of different weather patterns. I came across a lot of wildlife today, beyond the ravens, ground squirrels, and gulls. First were the horses just grazing on the side of the road. They must have free grazing here. Then there were two buffalo herds, and finally a bighorn sheep right beside the road.


For those who haven't had the opportunity to visit the west and see the mountains, it is a must do. The scenery is out of this world. If you like riding, the riding is a blast. Here in British Columbia, the roads can be iffy, as they have lots of loose gravel patches, and entire sections that are gravel. There must be four different road surfaces you can encounter in a very short distance. There are also ridges that sometimes show up that will guide your bike for a moment. Nothing bad, but you notice it. Still the roads are better then in the Yukon.

About 30 miles from Fort Nelson is a road that goes up to Fort Liard in the Northwest Territory. I was considering going up there as a side trip. On my map it appeared to be about 100 miles, but my fuel left was at 96 miles. I took it into Fort Nelson to get gas. I inquired as to the distance and they said from there it was 195 miles. Sorry, I would have considered a 200 to 260 miles detour or side trip, but not a 400 miler. I was about 240 from Fort St. John. So another chance to get into the NT was not to happen. I guess I will have to plan another trip out here.


Here is the first herd of buffalo. Just hanging beside the road.




The big horn sheep is at the end of this video.







More video of riding on Rt97 in the mountains.


There was an older couple who I saw at the hotel in Watson Lake. We had a brief conversation and we basically left the hotel at the same time. I don't know how they did it, but they lead me into the hotel I am staying in tonight. Maybe the "I love the sound of jets" bumper sticker says it all. Could be the construction delays, and the time lost helping the KLR rider, or my more frequent fuel stops, but I was sailing along, and even passed them once, yet they were ahead of me pulling into the hotel. He said he just kept a steady pace. Nice couple and they are planning to take the same route as me tomorrow. That is one of the things about motorcycling, you do meet a lot of people. Many are curious about your ride, and where you came from, and other riders like to compare notes, and get details about where you've been, and I try to get the same.

4 comments:

  1. It's so cool to see what you see. Great videos, really enjoyed seeing the long horn sheep. How is that used tire holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The used tire is about done. I was hoping to get to last the trip, but it looks like I may have to put a new rear on in Montana. I wish the video quality was as good as what I have loaded into the computer. I have to reduce the file size before uploading, which takes forever, then the blog site reduces it further so they are grainy. But you get the idea of what I am riding through, beautiful country out there. You have wonderful country side there in Washington, and you can pop up into BC real easy. Get out there an break in that new Sargent saddle proper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do. The Sargent seat fits me and my posture perfectly. I am so glad to have no more back pain. Are you crossing into the lower 48 by Montana?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am about 180 miles from Montana now, and will cross over tomorrow. I plan to start exploring Glacier tomorrow and spend the whole day there on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete