Thursday, August 19, 2010

These images are from Jasper National Park in British Columbia and Alberta Canada. Their national parks are as spectacular as ours. I'm not sure of the admission fees. I purchased my ticket the night before and it was only good until 4:00 PM the next day. At the US parks the pass is good for seven full days. So for a portion of this trip through Jasper I was technically an illegal alien or in today's speak and undocumented park visitor.

The photo above and below are just two different views of the same waterfall. This waterfall is right beside the road and there is a large parking area on the opposite side of the road from the falls.

Below is one of many very nice views as you travel on RT93 through Jasper. I did get off the bike and walked some of the trails to get some of the photographs. The top photo for example is just one part of a series that I shot for a panorama, but it is also nice by itself. That photos was at the end of a 1/4 mile hike to view the hidden lake.






This is one of the first waterfalls you encounter when you enter the park from the town of Jasper. It is about 15 miles in, and you need to take another road into it. I was shooting towards the sun so it is not a high quality photograph, but still shows a nice scene.

This video is as I approached the Columbia Ice fields. Looking to the right you can see the base of a glacier who's name I can not spell! This glacier was apparently much large, and was almost at the road when the road was built, but over the years has receded back about a 1/2 mile or more to it's present location. I did hike up to it, but not onto it. I'll be standing in enough snow and ice in a few months, didn't really feel the need to subject myself to that memory. I mentioned in an earlier post that I wasn't too impressed with it. It looked like a big dirty piece of ice. The glaciers we saw in Alaska, and the one I saw in Glacier NP were a little more impressive in size, and appeared cleaner. The video below is as I am leaving Jasper NP and not long before I came across the cars stopped for the grizzly.


No comments:

Post a Comment