Sunday, August 14, 2011

Off to Glacier

The ride to Glacier had us going up RT 89 out of Gardiner, MT. to I 90 to RT 287 onto I 15 / RT 287 off of I 15, continuing on RT 287 up to the East Glacier area. I 90 was it's usual boring self, but it did have some nice sweepers and big hills. I 15 was fun with tighter sweepers that just kept coming. Rt 89 and most of RT 287 was typical west highway going on for long stretches of straight with parts of curvy areas.


We were racing the storms that were all around us. In Montana, the big sky state, you can see for ever and you can see where the storms are. So far this trip I have had only a brief period of moderate rain, and a couple of times of a light brief sprinkle while riding. A big change from last year when 15 of the 39 days involved rain, many of them all day soaking rains. We lucked out and barely got a sprinkle. After exploring the small town of East Glacier we hit the sack for an early rise. We were headed to Two Medicine Lake for some morning photos.

A note, at about mile marker 15 on RT 287 from I 15 Rene and I saw a black bear looking up over the guide rail at us as we approached. The bear ducked down the embankment and out of view as we passed. The unusual thing is this is prairie land, no trees in sight. We spent 6 days in bear rich National Parks, and didn't see a single bear. Here in the prairie there is a bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment