Sunday, August 14, 2011

Glacier






Rene and I got to Two Medicine Lake at about 6:20 am and that was a few minutes too late as the water had already started to ripple. I took a few shots and we looked for a vacant camp site for our home for the night. Found one. We returned to East Glacier, had breakfast and packed up to return to Two Medicine camp ground where set up our tent.

We went to Many Glacier after setting up camp. Rene and I did a ranger walk first off, and I was not able to do much photography. The ranger would yell out "DAYOO", to alert the bears of our presence. After the second time, I sang out, "Dayoo, day light come, and me want to go home". By the the forth time, others were singing the same thing. Trouble maker. After the walk we decided to take a hike in the same area. Some trails were closed because of grizzly, and some folks were talking about seeing some grizzlies up on a hill. We made it back to a waterfall before starting back. Still no sighting of any grizzlies, and I want to see and photograph some grizzlies.




We had spent much of the day over at Many Glacier, so my plan of starting up the Going to the Sun Road had to be delayed. A bunch of storms were coming into the area, and we still had to finish setting up camp. The rush was on to get back to Two Medicine. The route there, RT 89 to RT 49 are very twisty roads. Great motorcycling roads except for the roadway condition. There are spots of gravel, and abrupt level (ridges) changes. But these problems are not the whole way, basically just about a mile stretch. I thought I had video of RT 89 and 49 but I don't. Guess I'll have to go back and get some. Rene' definitely wants to go back. That trip will be a full week at Glacier, I believe it to be a prettier and much more exciting place then Yellowstone.

These videos show some of the scenery, and one of my favorite roads, the Going to the Sun Road. The Going to the Sun Road is cut into the side of the mountains, and is currently under reconstruction, so it is very slow going. Hopefully it will be done in the next year or two.








We hiked at Logan Pass to see Hidden Lake. This hike lead us through about 1/4 mile of snow. I HATE snow, coming from the Syracuse area I get to see way too much of it. About 5 months worth. The scenery from the end of the trail was as spectacular as many of the other look outs in Glacier. We did pass by mountain goats that were just hanging out on the trail, and a big horn sheep that was eating up the hill side.



From Logan Pass we tok the Going to the Sun Road down into Apgar Village for dinner at Eddies. Apgar Village is at the end of McDonald Lake, and I was hoping to get some sunset type photos, but the clouds were too thick over the lake. We skipped what wasn't going to happen to head for Whitefish where we had reservations at the Grouse Mountain Lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment