Friday, July 29, 2011

Spirited ride through Black Canyon


I was going to try and do a ride called the Deloris River loop, but I had to adjust one of my panniers as it was starting to hit the swing arm. That took a little time so I decided on a shorter ride. This ride involved a little dirt, 22 miles worth, but on well packed road. Loose gravel in the turns required respect, specially from a novice dirt guy like me. On one part I was a little cocky (no comments please) until I crested a knoll and oops the road now turns sharply to the left and is going down hill. I grabbed a bunch of seat vinyl with my cheeks (not face) and a little rear brake and was able to negotiate this surprise. This route took me to Crested Butte, a nice little old town. From there I headed to Rt 92, Black Canyon. The picture above is from the rest area on RT 92 Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Rene and I had done this route two years ago, following a bunch of guys who were tearing it up. I ended up following three guys, two on GS's and the one in front of me, an older RT. This was a spirited ride and was lots of fun. The roadway was great, and the weather is equally nice. I have included some video of the ride for your pleasure. The first video is me following the group, then the second is me alone after the two GS's had pulled over, and the RT after we stopped at the rest area, had left before me.





Tomorrow I am hoping to get an early start and do at least part of the Deloris River, which is supposed to be spectacular in scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment